Have Your Voice Be Heard
Interested In A Career With Sunset Fiber?
Share The News With Your Friends!
We know you have questions. See if the FAQs below help answer some of them. If you have others, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Submitted Cumberland Plateau Board Member Questions
The sign-up data populates real-time, and you only have to do it once. It also helps if you tell your friends and neighbors. Then we look for clusters of demand (maybe a neighborhood or a winding road) that have asked for service. These groups help minimize the cost to connect and let us connect more people at once. Then we look for houses and businesses off that route that have requested service that we can spend a little extra to connect at the same time. Engineering comes next, and our engineers drive around looking at the existing pole lines, and determine how to get people connected. They drive wrapped vehicles so they are easy to spot, and that usually shores up demand in a given area (lots of people don’t believe we are coming until they see us).
We specialize in serving those rural customers who have no hope of ever being served by the larger “broadband” companies. Sometimes a zig or a zag in the cable route is all it takes to get them at the same time, and sometimes it takes a longer build. We do not have a rule that prevents us to connecting anyone, and initial reviews of the household locations in the CPC area indicate that 90% of homes are going to be accessible for Sunset’s buildout. The other 10% will just take a little more work. We expect it to take 5 years to connect roughly 10,000 locations in the CPC area, though we’ll aim for more than that if we can. There will likely always be a waiting list for Sunset services, but as we grow, the time spent on that waiting list should reduce dramatically. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but you’ll see us out working hard to make it happen every day.
Oh, we almost forgot! We have encouraged CPC (and they have expressed a desire) to be involved in helping us target unserved areas. To that end, as part of this agreement, Sunset and CPC will form a broadband advisory council to keep a constant dialogue about areas in need of connectivity. We can’t wait to work together!
BVU OptiNet Employees
Potential New Customers / Unserved Areas
Current service areas of Sunset & OptiNet:
Virginia: Lee and Wise Counties, the City of Norton, the City of Bristol
Tennessee: Hancock and Claiborne Counties with business services in Johnson City and areas of Kingsport